Many indigenous methods of healing differ from Western notions of healing. Indigenous healing is a culture-specific intervention, which is indigenously developed to treat the native people. Naikan therapy is a type of indigenous healing, which was created and promoted by Ishin Yoshimoto. In 1953, Yoshimoto established the first Naikan center in Yamato Koriyama, Nara, Japan. Naikan means introspection. Nai means inner or inside and kan means looking. Therefore, Naikan literally means looking inside or looking within. It involves a process of continuous meditation based upon highly structured instruction in self-observation and self-reflection, and its purposes are self-discovery and self-renewal. In Naikan, we explore our past using the following three themes:
1. What we received from others.
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
2. What we did for others.
3. The troubles we caused others.
In your paper, answer the following:
· Describe the similarities and differences between indigenous healing methods, such as Naikan therapy, and Western psychotherapy.
· What psychological theories (such as cognitive, behavioral, psychoanalytical, et cetera) apply to interpreting indigenous healing techniques?
· How effective are indigenous healing methods? Present research findings from scholarly literature to support your answer.
· Describe how someone seeking treatment for mental disorders is viewed by society. Support your answer with information from professional or scholarly sources.
You may choose to use the template provided in the resources for this paper.
Your paper should be between 4–6 pages in length, formatted as per APA guidelines. Include a minimum of three scholarly sources within your paper to support the assertions made.