One of the measurements that can be used to determine a child’s developmental progression is to compare the development of the child to the typical developmental milestones. Some examples of developmental milestones are when an infant first sits up, crawls, and walks. There are also developmental milestones for social and emotional development, language/communication development, cognitive development (learning, thinking and problem solving), and physical/movement development.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) provides some extensive information on developmental milestones for infants and young children. Google the keywords “CDC: Developmental Milestones.” Once you reach the site review the developmental milestones from birth through five years. After reviewing the milestones answer the following questions.
1. What is a developmental milestone? Why is it so important for parents to understand and know children’s developmental milestones?
2. Identify and describe at least three developmental milestones you find most interesting between the ages of 2 months and five years. Explain why you find them the most interesting.
3. Were you surprised by any of the milestones to be achieve at a particular age? If so, which one(s)? If not, why?
At the bottom of Developmental Milestones page, there is a link to Developmental Disabilities (or you can Google: “CDC: Developmental Disabilities”). Go to the Developmental Disabilities homepage, click on “Basics,” review the material, and then answer the following questions.
1. What is a developmental disability? What are the Risk Factors and Causes associated with the occurrence of developmental disabilities?
2. Select one of the “Specific Conditions” (either from the Developmental Disabilities homepage or from the menu on the upper left side of the Basics page). Describe the condition you selected. Why did you select this condition? What is one important concept, idea, theory, etc. you learned about this special condition.
3. Do you believe parents today are adequately educated about developmental milestones and developmental disabilities? If so, explain how they are educated. If not, how might we better educate parents about these issues?
4. What questions has the activity raised for you? What are you interested in researching further? “Nothing” scores a zero.
Your paper will be written in APA format with 12pt Times New Roman, 1 inch margins and including a Title Page and Reference Page. I have included a sample paper for you to download and utilize. Please use the paper as it includes the proper headings, margins, and font type and size.
I’ve provided a grading rubric on the last page.
Justify your answers with appropriate reasoning and research from your textbook and the CDC website. Here are some examples of how to cite your references depending on the pages you use. 20
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2016, August 18). Developmental milestones. Retrieved from https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/actearly/milestones/index.html.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. ( 2017, April 21). Facts about developmental disabilities. Retrieved from https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/developmentaldisabilities/facts.html.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. ( 2017, March 23). Facts about fragile X syndrome. Retrieved from https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/fxs/facts.html.
Santrock, J.W. (2017). Life-span development (16th ed.). New York: McGraw-Hill.
Do you need a similar assignment done for you from scratch? We have qualified writers to help you. We assure you an A+ quality paper that is free from plagiarism. Order now for an Amazing Discount! Use Discount Code “Newclient” for a 15% Discount!NB: We do not resell papers. Upon ordering, we do an original paper exclusively for you.
The post Developmental Milestones appeared first on My Nursing Experts.
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now