Research Design: Mixed Methods and the Value of Research to Social and Public Policy.
I’m studying and need help with a Academic question to help me learn.
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
Prior to beginning work on this discussion, read Chapter 10 of the course text, watch the video Crime Spotting: Joy of Stats (1/6) (Links to an external site.), review the media piece How Prohibition Encouraged Women to Drink (Links to an external site.) and the journal article, “Bootlegging Mothers and Drinking Daughters: Gender and Prohibition in Butte, Montana”.
In this last discussion, we address mixed methods, which brings together quantitative and qualitative approaches in unique ways. This discussion will support you in understanding the unique application of mixed methods in research. We will also bring the weeks of discussions together by addressing the value of understanding the human experience in society through research and specifically how research reporting can aid our understanding of social phenomena as well as influence social and public policy.
In your initial post, address the following:
- Discuss the reasons for using mixed methods. Select one of the complex mixed-methods designs (experimental, case study, participatory-social justice, or evaluation). What is an example of a study you might conduct using that particular design?
- After watching the video Crime Spotting: Joy of Stats (1/6) (Links to an external site.), respond to the following:
- How does the City of San Francisco currently use its crime data? Explain the value of this data to the citizens in the city and the police service.
- The level of data collection, police service planning, and community advocacy involved in the program highlighted in the video would add a significant financial cost to city operations. Other than the safety of citizens and supporting police efforts, can you think of two key reasons why San Francisco city leaders would want the city to be safe?
- As an example of another form of research reporting; we can also be informed of the human experience through a review of historical and secondary data. After reading the media piece “How Prohibition made Women’s Drinking More Acceptable” (Links to an external site.) and the journal article, “Bootlegging Mothers and Drinking Daughters: Gender and Prohibition in Butte, Montana”, respond to the following:
- Indicate the social problems or issues highlighted in this research article.
- Explain the experience of women in Butte, Montana during the prohibition. How were their actions a reflection of their social circumstances?
- How can an understanding of the society of prohibition era Butte, Montana, help us understand society today? What does it say about the effects of public policy on society?
Your initial post should be at least 650 words in length. Support your claims with examples from the required material(s) and/or other scholarly resources, and properly cite any references.